The Official Newspaper of the Diocese of Little Rock
   

Recent Bishop Columns

Believers of Christ don’t need ‘proof’ to see

By Bishop Anthony B. Taylor, Published: April 19, 2018   

Bishop Anthony B. Taylor delivered this homily April 15. We have an expression, “Seeing is believing,” but actually that’s inaccurate. Seeing is “proof,” not belief. In most instances, believing is when we’re convinced... More 

How does feet washing relate to Eucharist?

By Bishop Anthony B. Taylor, Published: April 13, 2018   

Bishop Anthony B. Taylor delivered this homily on Holy Thursday, March 29. One of the greatest occupational hazards I face as a priest and now as bishop is that it is easy to get used to being waited on. And I never want to take people’s kindness... More 

The empty tomb is just one part of the story of Easter

By Bishop Anthony B. Taylor, Published: April 5, 2018   

Bishop Anthony B. Taylor delivered this homily for Easter April 1. Only 10 percent of an iceberg is visible above the water. But the other 90 percent is there and is indeed what keeps the visible 10 percent afloat. This hidden 90 percent is also... More 

Courage or cowardice when sticking up for Jesus?

By Bishop Anthony B. Taylor, Published: March 29, 2018   

Bishop Anthony B. Taylor delivered this homily on Palm Sunday, March 25, 2018. Fight or flight? Animals flee danger and fight if they can’t flee. Hikers seldom see any bears because they flee us. But back a bear into a corner and now you’ve... More 

‘Do this in memory of me’ is about sacrifice

By Bishop Anthony B. Taylor, Published: March 22, 2018   

Bishop Anthony B. Taylor delivered this homily March 18. Did you know that the Anglo Texans who died in the Alamo were at least nominally Catholic citizens of Mexico? In an effort to develop the northern part of their country, the Mexican government... More 

Best advice: Gain accurate spiritual knowledge

By Bishop Anthony B. Taylor, Published: March 16, 2018   

Bishop Anthony B. Taylor delivered this homily March 11. If you own stock or mutual funds, they send you all kinds of reports to keep you informed and increase your confidence in their management of your funds. But do you sit down and read all that... More 

Watch for corrupting power, possessions, pleasure, prestige

By Bishop Anthony B. Taylor, Published: March 9, 2018   

Bishop Anthony B. Taylor delivered this homily March 4. I’m sure you’ve all heard sayings like “Power corrupts” and “money is power.” It is very sad to see how often people and institutions set out to provide a valuable... More 

Pray to have the faith of Abraham and Jesus

By Bishop Anthony B. Taylor, Published: March 1, 2018   

Bishop Anthony B. Taylor delivered this homily March 1, 2015, for the second Sunday of Lent. The same readings were used for Masses Feb. 25, 2018. In today’s first reading God asks Abraham to take what he loves the most and offer it up to him. The... More 

Give your spiritual life a 40-day tune-up for Lent

By Bishop Anthony B. Taylor, Published: February 23, 2018   

Bishop Anthony B. Taylor delivered this homily on Ash Wednesday Feb. 14. The most important part of a car is its motor. If the motor is bad, the car is worthless. No matter how nice it looks on the outside, it can’t take you where you want to... More 

Touch the ‘unclean’ today and show compassion

By Bishop Anthony B. Taylor, Published: February 16, 2018   

Bishop Anthony B. Taylor delivered this homily Feb. 11. Gershon Tucker, president of my high school senior class, died 25 years ago of AIDS. He was the first person I knew to die of AIDS, so his struggle gave the disease a human face for me. •... More